SPECIAL EDITION PRE-PLAYOFF POWER RANKINGSBy:Mesmerize and Lemieux_PolamaluEASTERN CONFERENCE1. Toronto Maple Leafs - 1st Seed
With the last week of the season coming this week, The Maple Leafs stand on top in the east with the 1st seed. Also on top in the league with 111pts, They are going for the presidents trophy, Rich2k8, Vinnynorthsyde and Laplante94, Seem to be the go to forward line this week. They combined for 61pts between the three, Is this the playoff line for Toronto? The 8th seed looks like it could be Pittsburgh, They can be a tough team to play against when they have their starting line out there, I dont think any 8th seed matchup will be a easy one for Toronto.Player to watch in the playoffs - DK_Kassicus2. Philadelphia Flyers - 2nd Seed
Flyers are sitting in the 2nd seed right now, I think they will remain in the 2nd seed once the season ends, But you never know what can happen, They are only 4pts behind Toronto, Fluri and friends hope to get over that hump of a 1st round exit last season, I think Fluri will get passed the 1st round this season, They have the core from last season, They added a better Dman in Soccaplaya, It all depends if the rage comes into play early and the team starts doubting theirselfs.Player to watch in the playoffs - Fluri373. Washington Capitals - 3rd Seed
Capitals are currently in the 3rd seed, Only 2 points infront of Tampa Bay who are trying to take over the division lead with a week left to go in the season, I dont think anyone expected Washington to do as well as they did this season, You would have looked at the roster and figured they would be at the bottom, Can they take this seasons success into the playoffs? They will need Murloc-Death to be good and try not to rage so hard, Washington plays the low scoring defensive style of hockey, They have pretty much been playing playoff hockey all season, So they should be ready come playoff time.Player to watch in the playoffs - Laydownfool614. Tampa Bay Lightning - 4th Seed
Tampa Bay has been playing good as of late, Seems things are finally coming together at the right time for Tampa Bay, Vito is playing stellar in net, They added a much needed RD in LAKingsFaithFul, Adding him with Djones gives Tampa Bay a solid D-Pair, The offense has been picking it up and scoring some more goals, With Mesmerize, Jew and Strike upfront, PolynomC is a solid role player at forward, Tampa will try to get the division lead this last week, Otherwise we will probably see another TB vs NJD 1st round series.Player to watch in the playoffs - Vito_Corleone5. Ottawa Senators - 5th Seed
Ottawa has been adding on the wins lately, They are going to finish the season in a good spot, Either 5th or 6th seed, The playoff picture is tight in the East, I dont think this high powered offense will have trouble with most teams, XxDrSwaggerxX has been playing great in net lately, I think the only question on the team is how well will the D-men play coming into the playoffs? Player to watch in the playoffs - Jay62196. New Jersey Devils - 6th Seed
The Devils have a close race between a couple seeds, No telling where they will end up, This offense relies on Bigyan__ to score goals for them, They have a solid D-Pair with Nemisis and bomberman, They can put the puck in the net, But can they stop it from going in? The big question is how well will their goalie perform in the playoffs. Goalie has been the struggle of this team all season long, Can Bigyan keep his cool and not rage on the team? Will Checkmate have to carry? We will see come playoffs.Player to watch in the playoffs - Bigyan__7. Florida Panthers - 7th Seed
Florida has probably been the hottest team in the east as of late. They added we gon rilly do this gucci, Hoping he will help on the backend, Nova and Coorsi have seem to got some chemistry going, With them both in the lineup they have been playing better, XDeadlyNastyx has been solid in net, I think Florida will be a sleeper team come playoff time, The higher seed will expect to just roll over them and it wont be that easy.Player to watch in the playoffs - Coorsi888. Pittsburgh Penguins - 8th Seed
The Penguins are a really tough 8th seed team, With Piper and Jeff upfront, They got a solid D-Pair in Jezuz422 and Foxpresentation, The only weak spot on this team is the goaltending, Bmidg and Vlady can either be good or bad, They have to show up and play great if they want to help Pittsburgh go for any type of playoff run, Piper and Jeff are dangerous players to play against, I can see them upsetting the 1st seed in the 1st round.Player to watch in the playoffs - CCPiper9. Boston Bruins - Out Of Playoffs
Boston finds themselfs in the 9th seed with a week left, It seems they still have a chance to make the playoffs, I dont see them winning all their games next week to make it into the 8th seed, A team people expected to be good just collapsed, They lose some games and everyone wants to rage, I guess all them wraparounds and forced passes worked out great for this team, Good luck next season.10. Buffalo Sabres - Out Of Playoffs
Buffalo has had a rough season, Lots of egotistic players who think they are better then everyone else got BL, I give Postalmic props for not calling it quits, He has to rethink where he went wrong by trying to get everyones friends on one team, That usually doesnt end well, 2 straight season at the Bottom, Postal should probably think about stepping down as GM and just become a player. Good luck next season.11. New York Islanders - Out Of Playoffs
The Islanders have failed to make the playoffs yet agan for the 2nd straight season, Im sure they will be glad to get next week over with so they can get ready for next season, If Pimpin comes back as GM hopefully he will have a better season then the last 2, Sometimes things just dont go the way you plan, Im sure some of us could have seen this coming before it happened, You keep half a roster of a team that didnt make the playoffs the season before, You get the same results. Good luck next season.12. Winnipeg Jets - Out Of Playoffs
The Jets have about the same season as the last, Finishing dead last in the East, Kcrusher should have learned from his previous season, Taking players who you think are good over players who are actually proven to be good, Its been along season for Kcrusher, He can really only blame himself by his bad decisions early on, If he returns as GM, Maybe he will have better luck, 3rd time is a charm right? Good luck next season.WESTERN CONFERENCE #1)ANAHEIM DUCKS
8-2 The Final ten, the Ducks paddled their way into first place in the West. Only 1 point separates the Ducks from the Stars for first place in the West. Anaheim Superstar and Owner Mcleve finished first in points in the west and third overall behind Ottawa's Jay and Mudd_Flapps. Rise of the Ninja, is not a “puck hog dangler” as his +17 last week and 19 assists were number one in the league. djcloudz is playing solid Defense, along with King-Foresst and SteelCityFan making the Ducks quack well together in he defensive end. LordAlex jumped In net and was 3-0 last week but Heroic_saunter, only allowed 1.8 ppg, seems to have stolen the starting Goaltender job. Whoever meets them in the playoffs will be playing Nintendo's “duck hunt” in round two and not NHL 14. These mallards control their own destiny.
Predict – #1 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs – XILO_ATOMIK #2) DALLAS STARS
Dallas is first in their division but fourth in the West. Only one point behind Anaheim for first in the West, Dallas Can get it done. If the Ducks slip then the stars can get first place. It really doesn’t matter where they finish we all know the Stars are going to shine. Danger_rally is heating up only allowing 2 gpg last week and had an impressive .82% save percentage. With Reject_reaperz and DaSn1pa clicking and Altered_Beast, ZoGOOD and the mysterious silverthorn on defense they will be tough to beat, as they were last year. Everyone will be gunning for them as the Stars look to repeat their season 8 Stanley Cup winning success. Break out your telescopes as the Stars continue to shine.
Predict – #4 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs – Reject_Reapers#3)MINNESOTA WILD
Things are getting wild in Minnesota as chrono526 and the boys look to lock up the #2 seed. With only two points separating the Wild and first place. Although close to .500 lately, Minnesota has a chance to take the top spot. Anyone of the top three teams can take first place, but the Wild need to win and have the Ducks and Stars lose a little. Donut_Doug, CHIEFTROUT, and Dynasty1989 all share defensive duties and are a formidable defensive unit. ChiTownMenace always puts a tough team on the ice and his 17 points have opponents wild with fear. Chrono and Spoon are solid net-minders and the Wild are a playoff contender.
Predict – #2 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs – ChiTownMenace#4)DETROIT RED WINGS
Spreading their wings and soaring into the playoffs is fourth place Detroit. Although actually coasting around .500 lately, they are still a virtual lock for the 3rd spot. Hardik and Illuminati have a chance to build up some chemistry the final week and will have to do so to advance to round2. Owner PEERLESS- has players like ACEFIVE, THEPAINTRAIN67 and the talented Skillzy ready to play every week. Get back to their solid Defensive play from earlier in the season and the Red Wings can be a dangerous playoff team but their 182 goals for puts them 2nd to last in the west in goals scored so they will need to get a little better offensively to advance.
Predict – #3 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs – Skillzy #5)CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS
The Blackhawks proved this writer wrong and have developed into a formidable foe. One of the hottest teams in the Western Conference, Chicago is no longer a team an amateur VG-sports writer one can write off. As soon as they signed a Pittsburgh Penguins fan things really turned around for them. They can thank WVU_Pens for all their success. With BARRYS_SNIPIN , the angry Hemmertime, Shystiee and Moja11 on the roster, how can you go wrong. Maybe owners Lers and Linde know what they are doing after all. If they win all their games and Red Wings lose they can actually steeler the division as 8 points separate them from first with 12 points on the table. Many opponents have pondered, “What's a YuCKO?” When you lose to the Hawks and the clown is through with you, you will know what a xYuckox is.
Predict #5 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - Barry_Snipin#6) CALGARY FLAMES
The Flames are more a flickering candle than a raging fire as they stumble into 7th place 4-3-3 in the last ten. They have a perfectly symmetrical 230 Goals for and 230 goals against on the season, which makes them difficult to predict. Depending on which version of the team shows up, they could be tough to beat. F0R3IGN_0BJ3KT and DonkeyX Are great Defenseman and can use the final week to heat up their team chemistry. J--IGINLA--12 is a very tough forward as is usermike4948 , CastroGSTAR, HAT_TRICK_LEGEND and IIXOSHIE_74XII chaos rider also round out the roster. With Penguins2013 always solid in net, all they need is the defense-man to click and the Flames can avoid a first round flame out.
Predict #6 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - DonkeyX#7)PHOENIX COYOTES
The Coyotes are backing their ass up into the playoffs sliding in the last ten. They hold a three point lead for 5th and are howling at the moon for wins. With a failing disappointed fan base Phoenix is changing their name to Arizona next season to help garner local interest. Other than the Coyotes who the heck plays ice hockey in the Arizona Desert? The team should move to Quebec. Don't pack the bags yet Real_Deal18 and DynamicKarma are ones who will leave everything on the melting ice. PNCPark2k1 who is representing the burgh in net, needs a little defensive help, maybe they can hire Jim Rutherford and Mike Johnston before the playoffs start, to help turn things around.
Predict #7 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - Real_Deal18#8)ST. LOUIS BLUES
Saint Louie playing well recently, has a four point lead on 8th place and control their own destiny. They lean on the St Louis arch too much as they go 23-13-2 at home and are 10-23-4 on the road. They have to be road dogs since they will not have home ice advantage at any point in the playoffs. We all know from last weeks thread that FreHzeR is a player to watch. With Frehzer and Vegaridge on offense its no surprise their 248 goals for puts them third in the west in scoring. It is their goals against though weighing them down towards the bottom of the pack. HITMAN has to get better in net but newly acquired Zener has potential to help out the team as Goalie. GoodFella146 and GAYPHIS are solid owners and defensive players but will have to step it up to solidify their playoff spot and advance in the rounds. If the St Louis Defenders and Goalies step up their play and get hot, St Louis has the firepower to take them all the way. Also play better away from The Arch.
Predict #8 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - VEGARIDGE #9)EDMONTON OILERS
You_Mad_bro is furious as the Oilers Defense looks terrible season9. PUCKU33 and Dante Luc combine for 13.5 million of their salary and that has not payed off as their 275 goals allowed on the year rates near the bottom of the league. Perhaps they should have taken a chance on an AHL All Star/VG-sports writer who comes cheap(hint hint wink wink)? All joking aside, Edmonton is four points out of 8th place and can sneak into the playoffs with some wins and Saint Louis loses. They have good defenders and decent goalies in BALAIA_JR and dragonskull69. KyleJ83, NOWYODEAD, YoUU-MaDD_Br0o are dangerous forwards and they can be a dangerous team if able to sneak into the playoffs. Playing well lately, they have to step it up a little to Oil Slide their way up.
Predict #10 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - KyleJ83 (if they can make it)#10) COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
6 points out of the playoffs with 14 points to go(1 reschedule), Columbus is hoping to run the table the last week and get some Edmonton and St Louis losses and sneak into the playoffs. At least they can have something to play for. A hot team the last ten and with #8 and #9 around .500 lately they do have a legitimate shot at making the miracle happen. XxMadmax94xX is always a dangerous forward and with JSILVERS and KATO on Defense, they are a dangerous team. If the Goalies can step up they can keep the miracle dream alive.
Predict #9 SeedPlayer to watch in the playoffs - XxMadmax94xX (If a miracle happens, watch out)#11)LOS ANGELES KINGS
Rookie owner McDizzle9909 is glad the season is over as they fell short of expectations. Great first season in the NHL for McDizz, he survived a lot of ups and downs and ran the team well. smokey1010 jumped in as assistant when Rockie_Robbie season imploded. Some good decisions and some bad. They had superstar XILO ATOMIC on the roster, which was good, but questionable move when they went all in spending 10 million dollars on Defenseman who ended up sucking and Zamboni Driver is on pace to be the #1 worst goalie in VG history. They promised me they would bid on me but did not drop a dime, I think I would have helped them make the playoffs. That being said they have a lot of great players on the roster who showed up to play week in and week out. Exclamation is a good D man. Elyndil and MYLEFTNUTT are great players. They have a decent roster but fell short. McDizz will have a much better season next year but players beware his promises. Great Season KINGS. #12) VANCOUVER CANUCKS
Lumpy_Rutherford is a good owner and held the team together very admirably. Their -190 differential and 341 goals against makes them by far the worst defensive team in the league. They have great players on the roster at FWD like BONES955 , Magic and Mawson. Not sure what to say about their goaltenders. SinWin is a good defender but he needs some help. Maybe they should have taken a chance on the bargain bin with the much loved Lemieux_Polamalu? Good season Vancouver.AHL POWER RANKINGS - Final Weekby - boychuck55 1(+1). San Antonio Rampage
- It took them until the final week of the season, but the rampage finally passed the baby pens as the top team in the ahl. The rampage capped off a perfect week with a victory over the baby pens to secure the top spot and also broke the ahl point record (127pts S7 Checkers) with a week to go. The top seed looks like a lock for the rampage with their final weeks schedule, and fans will proudly don the #69 to support the team in the final week of the regular season. 2(-1). Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins
- Atop the ahl for the entire season, captain Rain sees another top seed lost in the waning moments of the season (also PHX S8). The baby pens faltered some week 11 and saw the top seed in the ahl be taken over by the rampage. The baby pens will try to make a run at it again, but it will take some help from another team in order for them to catch the rampage. Not only did the rampage break the VGAHL single season points record, but so did the penguins. 3(+1). Albany Devils
- Once again, Sentinel has had a great season in Albany as the devils will look to make a run at a second straight calder cup appearance. Locked in at the #4 seed, the devils really have nothing to play for this week, and can take a breather this week and look to just refine their game and keep it going without any pressure of how they finish out the season. The devils play a preview of their 1st round opponent, the crunch, sunday night and can get a view of how they match up against them in preparation for that series.4(-1). Norfolk Admirals
- The admirals look to have the west wrapped up with 6 games left and an 8 point lead over abbotsford (ABB has a game in hand) and will look to lock up the top seed in the conference early in the week. The schedule is not friendly however, and they could see their run for the top seed go down to the wire the final night of the season against abbotsford. 5(--). Abbotsford Heat
- The Calgary orgainzation will look to take home its 3rd straight top seed in the western conference (Lake Erie S7 & S8) put will need quite a bit of help from others to have a chance to pass Norfolk. Regardless, the heat still get their 3rd straight division title for their organization and sit in position to play a struggling griffins team in the 1st round if they can hold off the wolves for the #2 seed.6(--). Chicago Wolves
- The wolves have picked it up here at the end of the season and have themselves in a position for a legitimate shot at the #2 seed. After struggling to regain their game after the buyout of captain goodfella, the wolves finally look like a strong team going into the postseason when it matters most. 7(--). Texas Stars
- Captain Tman remains out with a broken thumb from a lethal clapper in practice from ryno, but the stars look solid in net with jetter and bree filling in. The stars have had an excellent finish to the season and look poised to make a strong run in the playoffs. Locked in at the 4 seed, the stars have nothing to play for but must stay focused on improving their game and readying themselves for the playoffs.8(--). Syracuse Crunch
- The crunch are locked into the 5 seed and have a 1st round matchup preview sunday night against the devils to see what they are up against. The crunch seem to be on the right track to improving, but it will be a tough task to down the devils in the 1st round and they will need to be on the top of their game moving forward to make some noise in the playoffs.9(+3). Rockford Ice Hogs
- The Ice Hogs seem to be following last seasons recipe of adding top end talent late in the season and looking to make a long run. It looks like once again the ice hogs will grab a low seed and be a dangerous team to watch out for to all the top teams. The ice hogs can finish anywhere between the 5 and the 7 seed and will look to continue their late surge and nab a higher seed and continue their roll into the playoffs.10(-1). Portland Pirates
- The pirates have had an up and down season, but see themselves with a playoff spot locked up coming to the end of the season. Through much roster turnover, the pirates have continued to roll with a different group of guys throughout the season and will hope to have some chemistry going into the playoffs.11(-1). Grand Rapid Griffins
- The griffins have some question marks going into the postseason as after the recent buyouts of bree and runlikehell. Another team with a new look, the griffins will look to make their mark in the playoffs and will look to captain slapshot and star player myles to carry the load offensively.12(+2) Binghamton Senators
- The senators did a good job picking up talent from the phl and after a rough start to the season have done quite well as they sit with a slim lead in their division entering the last week of the season. The senators will look to finish the season strong and clinch their division to gain the 3 seed instead of a low seed. Although their points dont show it, the senators are a team to watch out for as they are much improved from their early season roster.13(-2). Adirondack Phantoms
- The phantoms have had a rough time since the loss of captain s7lentsn7per and have limped to the finish line. The phantoms have had trouble scoring and have must improve from their struggling ways if they hope to make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. A strong finish to the season would help them alot, as they need to keep the 6 seed in order to avoid either the rampage or baby pens in the first round.14(+2). Rochester Americans
- The americans have had multiple turnovers in management this season and went through some major struggles, bit since arrowflinger took over as captain they have done well. The americans currently sit as the 7 seed in the east and must finish strong this week to make the playoffs. 15(-2). Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- The sound tigers have been on a surge near the end of the season after a slow start and are teetering on the brink of the playoffs. The sound tigers sit in the 8 seed with only a 2 point lead and the bears hold 2 games in hand. The sound tigers will need to play their best hockey of the year in order to sneak into the playoffs.16(-1). Iowa Wild
- The surging wild have closed in on the slipping falcons but still sit 4 points down with only 6 games remaining. The wild will need to continue the tear that they have been on and pray for some help from others taking down the falcons to have a shot of getting in. After a terrible start to the season, the wild look to finish an improbable playoff push and make it to the postseason.17(+1). Springfield Falcons
- The falcons have been slipping to end the season and cling to a small lead for the last seed in the west. The falcons have struggled to score goals with the 3rd fewest in the league and the fewest of any playoff contender. The falcons must survive one more week as they desperately cling to that final playoff seed.18(+1). Hershey Bears
- The bears have struggled over the 2nd half of the season and are looking in on the playoff picture after they have blown a big lead to move out of the picture. There is still hope for the bears, who have one final chance to turn things around before their season goes down the drain.19(-2). St. Johns Icecaps
- After a surge once eithk took over as captain, the icecaps ran out of steam and are all but eliminated going into the final week of the season. Despite missing the playoffs, the icecaps did improve a lot and made themselves into a formidable foe. 20(--). Providence Bruins
- The bruins had made a solid run to try and stay in the playoff picture but it proved to be too much over time and they fell out of contention. The bruins never quite figured out how to keep the puck out of their own net, as they sit with the 2nd most goals allowed with only utica allowing more.
Captain xstcopleyx had this to say, "It's all because we couldn't land the llxboychuck_55xll guy for 5mil "21(--). Oklahoma City Barons
- The barons are 1 of only 4 teams that have already been mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture, with only the role of spoiler left to play for. The barons showed a few sparks of life this season but only to see them disappear shortly after.22(--). Manchester Monarchs
- The monarchs have had an absolutely dismal season after the release of captain cupid and assistant frehzer. Since the buyout, the monarchs have gone a pitiful after 3-37-3 after starting the season 21-10-2. The monarchs will be glad after this week that the season is over and look to new beginnings and fresh starts in season 10.23(--). Toronto Marlies
- Its been a longer season for the marlies as they spent the entire season at the bottom of the eastern conference. Despite being in a weak division, the marlies could never get on their feet, and despite high expectations for their team they just didnt have a good year.24(--). Utica Comets
- Its been a long season in utica, as the comets have spent the entire season as the worst team in the ahl. Nothing seemed to go the comets way this season, as they were last in the league in goals for, allowed the most goals, and had the worst goal differential in the league.